Above The Bar: Brian Davis


I've decided to interview people.  People I know personally, people I'm acquainted with, or people who know these people.  I find all people to be quite fascinating, but lots of the people I know are really amazing. From the bank teller who goes to school nights and still manages to nurture and provide for their family, to the award-winning music producer traveling the world and constantly looking for new talent and inspiration, they are ALL MAJOR.  I've kept the Q&A pretty surface, because I'm simply making the introduction of one individual to a few more individuals, and you can click their links or hit up their Twitter or Facebook to find out more about them.  Expect to see these every week on the blog, because I know quite a few folks to guilt into doing this for me! :-D

I'm glad this is my first interview, because aside from being one of the most beautiful people I know, they have also been kind enough to extend their extensive list of business contacts and resources to me when I had little. They have been a supporter of my business ventures and and a believer in my talent. This person quickly became someone I consider my friend. I am more in awe of them than they could ever be of me. I'd like for you (or those of you that don't already know them) to meet them, now.





Brian Davis, 26
Atlanta, GA


LL:  How long have you doing what you do (for a living) now?  

B:  That's an interesting question because it's so hard for me to describe "what I do" for a living.  When people ask me that, there's a couple of different answers, honestly.  I've been working for Concrete Loop for about 6 years.  That's the journalist aspect of what I do.  But I'm also a freelance creative consultant for a couple of different artists and producers. I also work with a creative consulting firm that me and three of my business partners put together a little over a year ago, which has sort of required me to tap into a lot of my "talents."  Everything from graphic design, to vocal production, to even writing music.  Within the last year, I've pretty much found myself doing it all - doing whatever it takes.  Honestly, I've been working and interning in the music industry since I was like, 14.  I'm 26 now.  But I'd say within the lat 6-7 years, I've started developing an income for the work that I've been doing.

LL:  In terms of your work, what are your 3 strong points?  

B: I think it's my creativity, tenacity and drive.  A lot of people can do what it is that I do, but I feel like I have a unique eye and ear and I know what works.  Not saying that I have all the answers, but I think what sets me apart from others is that I'm not afraid to take risks.

LL: Top 3 proudest moments in your career?  

B:  One would definitely have to be helping to start my own thriving business and working for myself.  The second would have to be setting a goal, building a project from the ground up and seeing the fruition of it.  It's always good to be able plant, see, pick and eat the fruits of your labor.  The third would honestly just have to be being able to share what I've done with the people I love and the amazing people I've met and gotten a chance to work with in the process.

LL: What would you say are 3 common misconceptions about you?  

B:  I wouldn't necessarily say that this is specifically about me, but I think everyone that works in the "entertainment" business, so to speak.  The first one would be that we all wanna be famous, and that couldn't be further from the truth.  I think being known in this industry, if you're good at what you do, just goes with the territory.  And if you're NOT good at what you do, for that matter.  Another misconception that's geared more directly towards me has more to do with being a gay man in this industry.  All of us are not make-up artists, and hair and fashion stylists.  Those people are amazing at what they do, but just because I'm gay, and I'm dealing with artists, don't assume that that's the only thing I can do.  The third misconception would probably be that I'm not interested in working.  I know that sounds funny, but when you work in the music industry, and you're seen with a certain caliber of people, everyone seems to think that you're all good and you aren't will to attach yourself to new things, new people or new projects.  And that couldn't be further from the truth.  Put me to work!




LL:  Name 3 things that you absolutely need to make your work day go smoothly.  

B:  Hmm.  Definitely my iPod.  If I'm not doing anything, I'm listening to music.  I have so much music on my iPod, I can put that thing on shuffle and get to work.  Another would be my team.  I mean, I think I'm pretty freaking cool on my own, but together, we are force.  And thirdly, this is gonna sound crazy, but some sort of beverage with caffeine in it.  Preferable a Coke.  If I don't have caffeine, prepare for crankiness and headaches.

LL:  What are 3 things you think everyone should know before they pursue a career in the industry?  

B:  Trust yourself.  People in this industry will try to steer you clear of certain things and try to impart what THEIR vision for YOU is.  Don't let that sway you from doing what it is YOUR vision for YOURSELF is.  Two, have the knowledge about your craft.  I feel as though people respect me, no matter how different we are, and no matter how different our walk of life has been, because when I come into a situation about music, I know what I'm talking about.  I've done the research and I have pull from different references, and at the end of the day, you may disagree with what I say, but also, you respect that I have the knowledge.  And I guess thirdly, have a back up plan.  Have other skills.  Because this industry changes all the time!

LL: What's next for you?

B. Happiness.  More success.  I mean, I wanna ride this thing as long as I can and I just want it to grow and get bigger.  I want to work more, and I want more clients.  I want to travel more.  I just want to keep working and doing what I love because I have a passion for it and I believe in everything I'm doing.









Brian's Twitter Shoutouts:   @icontips @freddybeezy @theoriginalsupe @brookandthecity  @princehonour


For more info on Brian Davis, click these links:

http://twitter.com/blacksocialite
http://facebook.com/bpdavis86
http://boygonesocial.com (coming soon)
http://etceteramediagroup.com














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts