Beyond Me: Aaron Michael Cox



I was up late last night reading my Twitter timeline in bed, and the news of Aaron Michael Cox's passing scrolled up.  I paused and re-read that post.  I can't even remember who tweeted about it.  I just know that as my mind struggled to compute what I'd just seen, my breath was interrupted.  I saw Lindsey Lanier's face in my head as my mind recalled one of several occasions where Lindsey told me that she thought Arron Michael Cox and I would make magic together in the studio.  I could only see her face. The background was blurry because I couldn't quite recall where we were when she said it, and besides, it didn't matter now.  I can tell you for certain that the light in her eyes danced as she said the words...as though a picture of the scenario she spoke of was coming into focus in her head at the same time.  Lindsey spoke highly of his creative genius, and seemed adamant about getting us into the studio together, because she thought we would click creatively. She also said that Aaron Michael Cox had an amazing personality.  Aaron Michael Cox.  I still can't believe that I came THIS CLOSE to the magic, without actually being able to say that I saw it. It's almost as though we lived on the same block, but never met.  The name would come up in conversation with different people for the next few months, and they all said the same: Aaron Michael Cox is amazing.  Until last night, I'd never had the pleasure of listening to his music.  I traced the tweet back to Aaron Michael Cox's Twitter page and read his mentions.  Condolences abound. I saw appreciation for his light, as well as his sound, which would make it difficult to tell which traveled faster than the other.  I'm back on the block, now, after struggling internally with some issues that my closest friends and family are privy to. I struggled creatively.  I doubted my ability to create.  Thank God for yesterdays, though, because today I'm not so worried about that. The thing about yesterday, though is that it's passed/past. The time I spent in my own mental prison was wasted.  I wish I'd been in the studio with Aaron Michael Cox, because as it turns out, his sound is as amazing as they say.  Who knew?  Everyone but me apparently.  Reading the tweets of the people who had the privilege and the pleasure of knowing and working with him was like  having people say "he was just here, you missed him by THAT much." I missed him. He was here and I missed him.  I missed the opportunity because I guess a part of me felt like it would always be there.


I can't remember the day, but Aaron Michael Cox tweeted something to the tune of "I'm Alive" recently.  I stared at those words on his timeline last night, and I was led to find his music on YouTube.  Beautiful, lyrics, beautiful melodies, beautiful voice. Beautiful music. Music that moved people.  Music that still moves people, like me. I never got to meet Aaron Michael Cox, but I'm so glad I have some of his music.  Aaron Michael Cox left us some of his most beautiful creations. I'm grateful for his contribution.  I'm inspired by his bravery as an artist. Thank you Aaron Michael Cox. I absolutely love what I know of you, and I wish I had been able to experience the magic in person.  My prayers are going up for your family and loved ones.


Comments

  1. ^You took those words right out of my mind ^^. It was written well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart. He was here and now he's not, that quick. We miss him so, and believe me, are encouraged to read honest accounts of his effect on others. ...he IS alive in the memories and music he created.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts