Above The Bar: India Shawn

My move to Atlanta opened the door to much more social networking than I'd ever done in my career.  As the result, I've met some AMAZING young talent over the past few years.  This week's interview is with one of those talents.  Her vocal ability alone is head and shoulders (torso, too) above many of her peers and predecessors. She also writes beautiful songs about human emotion.  I like to hear her take on the complexities of love.  Love of others, love of self, love of love.  The tone of her voice is sweet, kind of smoky at times, but only when it needs to be; the perfect coating for her soul-stirring lyrics. You can check her songwriting credits and her music business affiliations by simply organizing a search party (Google and iTunes are said to be the best lol).  When I met her, I remember thinking she was beautiful, NATURALLY. Big hair, slim build, sweet spirit, sharp wit, and an endearing smile were all I got when I met for the first time. She said something funny, and punctuated her sentence with that smile of hers. Signature India. You will love her as I do, I'm sure of it.  Oh, look, there she is now! Reader, I'd like for you to meet


'

India Shawn
24
West Covina, CA
Singer/ Recording Artist/ Songwriter/ Revolutionary

"...when I'm singin a melody, ain't got nothin to hide,
cause I put all my soul inside every song that I write..."

LL:  How long have you been doing what you do?

I:   I've been pursuing a career in music since I moved from L.A. to Atlanta in 2003. Almost a decade! *gasp*

LL:  What are 3 things you enjoy most about what you do?

I:  I love the idea of being able to impact a culture and an era through song.  I love sitting and building a song from scratch with a dope musician.  And mostly, I just love singing into a microphone! :-)

LL:  If you could change 3 things about your industry, what would they be?

I:  FIRSTLY, there would be more than 3 artists in rotation on the radio! LOL!  I would change the focus from image/appearance back to raw talent; I would make music the priority again.  Singers and songwriters would be getting paid like MC Hammer! 

LL:  What are your top 3 career moments thus far?

I:  Working with YOU! That was such an amazing moment.  Don't think you realized how nervous, and grateful, and APPRECIATIVE I was to sit in your presence, and to be vocal produced by you! WOW :-). Hanging out and writing with Timbaland was sooooo amazing.  He's such a great guy...really funny, too!  Meeting Brandy was a really cool, "full circle" kind of experience for me.  I adored her for so long, so sitting with her, playing a song idea, I'd just written for her, and hearing her tell me I was the SECRET WEAPON was pretty trippy.


LL:  What are your 3 favorite places to work?

I:  I really used to love working out of a studio in Usher's old crib.  Chalice Studios in L.A. is one of my all-time faves, LOVE the ambience there.  I've been recording my album at my boy Prem Midha's house.  He has a pretty cool set-up there, and we get a nice sound.

LL:  Give me 3 words to describe your journey thus far.

I:  My journey has been bumpy, exciting, purposeful. :-)

LL:  What's next for you?

I:  I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my debut album ORIGIN.  I'm so in love with this project.  I hope to release it in the coming month, and a tour to follow would be lovely.  Just working hard, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

...and the best, my dear, is yet to come. My money's on you! :-D #VivaRawTalent


Twitter Shout-outs:  @_johnkey , @fullcircleink , @missmereba , @saga1stldy , @crownworldent , @iamchasej

Check out India Shawn's album teaser 'Neither Do We (featuring James Fauntleroy)':





Follow India Shawn on Twitter!  www.twitter.com/IndiaShawn




Comments

  1. Awesome interview Candice! Keep posting stuff like this! I love to learn about new and upcoming artists. She sounds delicious in that album teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these interviews. Keep them coming. I am anticipating your next post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts