Above The Bar: Isaac "Ike Dirty" Hayes III

Georgia was pretty good to me.  I have to admit that I liked my neighborhood, I liked the visible difference between seasons, and I especially liked the cuisine.  This week's subject is associated with all three of these for me.  For a time, we lived in the same city, and we would crawl out of our respective dwellings during the warmer months for brunch.  Cuisine?  Yeah, he cooks...DOWN. LOL! He is funny, charming, tremendously talented, and while we don't see eye to eye on some things (i.e. "tricking season" SMHLOL), we managed to have an amazing time together when we had down time in ATL. He is absolutely one of the things I miss most about living in Georgia.  I could drag this intro out a bit longer, but I feel like the words wouldn't do his "larger than life" personality any justice.  Here he comes!



Isaac Hayes III
37 (Gemini)
Atlanta, GA
Songwriter/Producer/Voiceover Artist
Hobbies: Cooking, Photography, & The Never-Ending Study of Women 

"Prayers up, blessings down."

-Isaac Hayes III

LL:  How long have you been doing what you do for a living?

IH:  I've been producing since 2002, so 11 years, but my love of music production began at 17 
        years old!

LL:  What are your top 3 career moments?

IH:  My first is when I got my break in 2006 when I had 8 songs I produced used in the film 
       'ATL'.
       I would have to say my second is "Money In The Bank", the record I produced for Lil 
       Scrappy that went Gold as a ringtone & single and was sampled by T-Pain in 'Buy You A 
       Drank', which was a monster hit that I'm proud to be attached to as well.
       My third is the project I worked on recently with producer Red One.  The Ying Yang 
       Twins' single 'Fist Pump, Jump Jump!'.  Never done a dance record quite like this before.

LL:  If you had the opportunity to do something outside the industry you work in now, what would it
        be?

IH: Man, I'm a Gemini, so we love to do it ALL! LOL!  I LOVE doing voiceover work which is 
       my second career.  I would devote 100% of my time if I could.  I also LOVE cooking and 
       baking cheesecake, so I would definitely market and sell my cheesecakes to the masses if I 
       could.

LL: Name 3 people that inspire you, and tell us why they do.

IH: My father Isaac Hayes, of course, because of the things he accomplished as a songwriter 
      and producer.  I'm inspired by the fact that he came from nothing to a world of success 
      by creating classics.  He became the first African American to win an Oscar for Music, and 
      he was also the first African American to have a Certified Platinum album.
      My mother inspires me by being kind and good.  Her gorgeous spirit and remarkable 
      patience make her the perfect spiritual guide and counselor to me when I need her.  She
      makes me think.  She inspires me to have compassion for all people. She honestly makes me
      want to be a better person.
      Third, I'd have to say that people in general inspire me, especially those who make the most 
      of whatever their circumstances are without blame or complaint.  They inspire me to do 
      more and be more.  If they can do it, I have no excuse.



LL: What are 3 things you do to de-stress?

IH:  I find nature: wind, trees, sun, shade...they pull the stress out of me, and I feel led to
        let it go into the universe.
       Creating music is an awesome way I de-stress.  Nothing makes you feel better like making 
       music!  Melodies and Chords dictate emotion in a way like nothing else in this world.  
       Love songs, of course. 
       Three is (CENSORED by Limbo Lessons!) >:-(

LL:  What is a lesson you learned the hard way?

IH:  I've learned to take advantage of an opportunity when I have it.  Never take a situation
        for granted because you never know when it will come again!

LL:  What are 3 things anyone aspiring to work in your field should know?

IH:  Don't do it for the money!  Do it cause you love it.  If you don't, you'll be miserable.
        Success doesn't happen overnight.  You gotta pay your dues.  If you get it fast & Easy, 
        you'll most likely lose it the same way.  
        Know your business.  Many a dollar has been lost NOT knowing the business.  Contracts, 
        percentages, learn all of that.  If not, you WILL get screwed.

LL:  Tell us 3 things you love about your city, then tell us 3 things you would change if you could.

IH:  I love that Atlanta is truly a BLACK city.  61% African American.  Gives me a sense of
        pride about being Black.  Atlanta has the highest concentration of Black Millionaires in
        the World.  "Gettin that paper", as Stevie J would say.
       The entertainment Industry.  Music was the big industry down here for a while, but now
       Film and TV have kicked in as well.  All these great shows and movies are filmed here.  Plus,
       we have the best talent in the business down here in ATL.
       Atlanta has a lil bit of some other major cities mixed into it.  A little NYC, A little 
       Los Angeles, a little Miami, and some country mixed in! I love that about the A!

       If I could change three things, I'd have to say that First, there would be NO SMOKING 
       IN CLUBS!!!  I hate cigarette smoke and weed smoke.  Fresh air in all venues if I could 
       change that.
       I'd put ATL on the coast if I could.  Could you imagine what Atlanta would be like on 
       water??? Lol
       PARKING.  Yo, the city is ripping folks off on this parking.  Gotta fix that for sure.  It's a
       straight joke!

LL:  Where would you send an out-of towner to have a bite and watch the game in your city?

IH:  Well, this is a two-part answer for me.  For a great bite to eat, I'd say Nuevo Laredo.
        Best Mexican FOOD IN THE CITY!  As far as watching the game, my NEW spot is 
        Yard House.  The fellas and I take that spot over whenever we go!  I say it's about who
        you're with more than where you are when it comes to watching the game.  Good people 
        always create a good time! 

Cheers, Ike! :-)



Twitter shout-outs:  @THEMUSICGROUP @NicPaper @RuuBabie

For more info on Ike Dirty, check out the links below.

Twitter:  www.twitter.com/isaachayes3

Instagram: isaachayes3

Facebook: www.facebook.com/isaachayes3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8xjPeD3dA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFGhQsaSwI





Comments

Popular Posts